Question about very high c reactive protein test result
Dan
2006-03-14 22:21:14 UTC
I'm a 47 yo male, 6 feet tall, weight about 173 lbs. I recently got a c
reactive protein test (not sure if it's the "high sensitivity" type),
and according to the results I just opened, it 23. The stated normal
range is 0.0 to 7.0, from what I've read online the average in the US is
1.5. I'm wondering if the test is screwed up. I exercise (stationary
bike) fairly intensely ever other day for 40 minutes, have done so for
about a year. During this period my heart rate averages about 150. My
blood pressure isn't stellar but not awful either, when I measure it
resting at home it's typically about 128 over 78. Cholesterol tests
have been good, last year total was 160, HDL 53, 2 years ago total was
174, LDL 96, HDL of 60. I know there's some controversy over the
usefulness of this test, so I'm not TOOOO freaked by what appear to be
results from another planet, but jeez, TWENTY-THREE!?! I had a pretty
bad cold at the time of the test, so far I have not seen this mentioned
as causing abnormally high results. I intend to check with my doctor
about this, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughtful comments
anyone might have about this.

TIA

Dan
C A III A
2006-03-18 20:12:08 UTC
It is interesting. Is it possible they gave you a 2.3 (unlikely, since they
give full figures), a range 2-3 or different units? You will definetely need
to contact the lab or your doctor to see where it went bad. You do not seem
as a risk for CHD. Low is <1; Normal is 1-3; High is 3-10. Anything above 10
needs a retest and then evaluation of noncardial etiologies. Also check your
Framingham Score and keep us posted.
Dan
Nanook
2006-03-29 01:04:06 UTC
Post by Dan
[...]
My understanding of the C reactive protein test is that it is testing
the inflammatory response.

The reason it is a good indicator of heart disease is that chloresterol
by itself damaging the arteries, it's only when you have the inflammatory
response added to that that it turns into plaque and everything clogs up.

But you also have inflammatory responses to infections, and since you had
a bad cold at the time you took it I bet that's why the number is so high.

I'd wait a while and then when you're healthy re-test.
tish
2006-09-28 18:06:38 UTC
Post by Nanook
Post by Dan
[...]
i also have a very high c.reactive protein. it is 34. i was told by the
docs at Mt.Sinai in NYC to start Lipitor. now my cholesterol has always
been good but i have a family history of high cholesterol. so, we
repeated it and got a lipid panel. the CRP was at 29 and my cholesterol
was over 230!!! this was a first for me. so, i have started on Lipitor.

of course, everyone is different but i will now have to watch my diet a
little more and get more exercise...not sure how that will work in my
busy life???
--
peace,
tish

Because life is too short. Because existence should be enjoyed, not just
endured. Because there never is enough time. Because every moment is
gorgeous. Because it should all be celebrated to the max!