Mistake taking cold medicine -- serious?
frank
2004-01-19 03:13:24 UTC
Hello,

A friend gave me some cold medicine and she told me to take 4 teaspoons
because it was children's. However, I misheard her and took 4
tablespoons. Is this serious? The ingredients per teaspoon are:

Acetaminophen -- 160mg
Chlorpheniramine maleate -- 1mg
Dextromethorphan HBr -- 5mg
Pseudoephedrine HCL -- 15mg

Thanks,

Frank
t***@aol.com
2004-01-19 04:13:02 UTC
Post by frank
Hello,
A friend gave me some cold medicine and she told me to take 4 teaspoons
because it was children's. However, I misheard her and took 4
Acetaminophen -- 160mg x 12 1920 mg.
Chlorpheniramine maleate -- 1mg x 12 12 mg.
Dextromethorphan HBr -- 5mg x 12 60 mg.
Pseudoephedrine HCL -- 15mg x 12 180 mg.
Thanks,
Frank
When did you take it? If it is still in your stomach I would suggest you stick
your finger down your throat because that is a really lot of stuff that could
cause problems. Otherwise I would call your local Poison Control Center and
ask them what to do.

Incidentally were you UI? If so, more problems could develop?

Ora
David Rind
2004-01-19 04:18:49 UTC
Post by t***@aol.com
Post by frank
Hello,
A friend gave me some cold medicine and she told me to take 4 teaspoons
because it was children's. However, I misheard her and took 4
Acetaminophen -- 160mg x 12 1920 mg.
Chlorpheniramine maleate -- 1mg x 12 12 mg.
Dextromethorphan HBr -- 5mg x 12 60 mg.
Pseudoephedrine HCL -- 15mg x 12 180 mg.
Thanks,
Frank
When did you take it? If it is still in your stomach I would suggest you stick
your finger down your throat because that is a really lot of stuff that could
cause problems. Otherwise I would call your local Poison Control Center and
ask them what to do.
Incidentally were you UI? If so, more problems could develop?
Ora
Okay, what exactly on the above list has you so concerned that you
would recommend someone induce vomiting?
--
David Rind
***@caregroup.harvard.edu
t***@aol.com
2004-01-19 05:24:03 UTC
Post by David Rind
Post by t***@aol.com
Post by frank
[...]
I would prefer not to undergo the effects of that much Pseudoephedrine. 60 mg.
makes me very jittery.

Ora
David Rind
2004-01-19 14:31:01 UTC
Post by t***@aol.com
Post by David Rind
Post by t***@aol.com
Post by frank
[...]
You suggested to someone that they induce vomiting and call
poison control to avoid being jittery?
--
David Rind
***@caregroup.harvard.edu
[ tee ]
2004-01-19 04:27:21 UTC
None of the ingredients there will have a terribly adverse effect on you.
Just watch out for anything out of the normal, but I personally would
not be rushing to the doctors regarding it. It was only four tablespoons.
Whilst that is more than a dose, unless you are particularly sensitive -
you will be okay.

Frank
Mr. Hat
2004-01-19 05:20:15 UTC
Post by frank
Hello,
A friend gave me some cold medicine and she told me to take 4 teaspoons
because it was children's. However, I misheard her and took 4
Acetaminophen -- 160mg
Chlorpheniramine maleate -- 1mg
Dextromethorphan HBr -- 5mg
Pseudoephedrine HCL -- 15mg
You are fine. The only drug that would cause a problem is the
acetaminophen (painkiller - Tylenol), but you only ingested
1920mg, below the maximum safe dose of 4000mg within a 24hr
period. Still, it is a large dose especially if combined
with alcohol. 180mg of pseudoephedrine won't kill you but I'll
bet your heart is pounding. 12mg of chlorpheniramine maleate
will probably make you fall asleep, but is not a toxic amount.
You are probably feeling funny because of the 180mg of
dextromethorphan HBr, also known as DXM, a wildly popular drug
among kids these days.
Post by frank
Thanks,
Frank
BilZ0r
Frank
frank
2004-01-19 06:34:50 UTC
Post by Mr. Hat
Post by frank
[...]
Thank you all very much for your helpful information, I really
appreciate it!

Frank